L&Q provides help and assistance to resident moving to smaller properties.
This allows us to make sure our resident are in homes they can afford and we make best use of our housing stock by freeing up larger properties for homeless families and overcrowded households.
Put simply, we will be able to provide good quality homes to more people.
Moving to a smaller home
You may want to consider moving if:
- you are in receipt of housing benefits and affected by the size criteria
- your home has become too costly to run and difficult to manage
- the number of people in the household has reduced, for example children have grown up and left home
- you want to move to a different location to be nearer family or work
What help will I get with moving?
If you transfer to another L&Q home with fewer bedrooms, we will:
- prioritise your transfer application (Band 2)
- not charge an affordable rent. Please note that even though homes may still be advertised at affordable rent, residents in Band 2 should still bid. If successful, lettings staff will inform you of the new rent
Financial assistance may be considered where you are downsizing through a transfer or mutual exchange to another L&Q home, and you are:
- affected by size criteria
- over working age (if moving into general needs homes)
- moving into sheltered accommodation
- parent(s) with children under 16
How to apply
To apply for a transfer you will need to complete a Transfer Application form. Please contact our customer service centre for more information.
Once accepted, you will then be placed in Band 2 on our Choice Based lettings scheme and you will be able to bid on available homes that suit your needs. Visit our transfers page for further information on our Choice Based Lettings.
To conduct a mutual exchange, we recommend that you register with HomeSwapper, a mutual exchange service on the internet available to L&Q residents for free. You can find more information by visiting our mutual exchange page.
Things to consider
You will be required to clear all outstanding arrears before moving home.
If you are affected by the size criteria and can not move due to arrears you should contact us to discuss this.
We also reserve the right to exclude residents from moving if there has been a breach of tenancy or if your current home has not been kept in a suitable condition.