We may be able to help resolve any issues you have without needing to make a complaint.

Get in touch

If you're not sure whether you should make a complaint just yet, please complete our online form to share your concerns with our customer service centre.

Go to the form

You can also call 0300 456 9996 or get in touch with your Neighbourhood Housing Lead.

Making a complaint

You can make a complaint if you've reported something and are unhappy with how we dealt with it – and we'll try our best to put things right.

Make a complaint