Better Homes detail charcoal texture 5

Social rented tenancies

How to end your social rented tenancy

How you end your tenancy will depend on the type of tenancy you have. You will have to give us at least four weeks' notice. If your tenancy is a weekly tenancy with no end date, then your tenancy ends if you complete a notice to quit form correctly. If you have a fixed-term tenancy then we may have to agree to arrange a 'surrender' of the tenancy.

We need you to:

  • give at least four weeks' notice in writing that you are ending your tenancy. The notice should expire on the last day of your rental period (usually a Monday)
  • download, complete and return the Notice to Quit/Tenancy Termination form to let us know. If you have a weekly tenancy then the form will end your tenancy when the notice period ends. If you have a fixed term tenancy then we will first have to agree to a 'surrender'
  • tell us your new address
  • pay your rent until your tenancy ends and clear any arrears 
  • return all keys to your local office by midday on the Monday when your tenancy ends. If you don't return your keys in time, we will charge you an additional weeks' rent and the cost of changing the locks
  • allow future tenants to view your home in the four weeks before you leave

Leaving your home in good condition

Please make sure you leave your home and garden in a clean and tidy condition so we can re-let it without having to repair things that you have damaged, change things that you have altered or remove old furniture and rubbish. We will charge you for the cost of work if we have to put things right.

If you had our permission to make improvements to the property, such as installing a new kitchen or bathroom, you may be entitled to claim compensation for this work. To find out if you qualify, check our compensation page.