Better Homes detail charcoal texture 3

Home improvements and alterations

Find out whether you're eligible to make improvements to your home

As a homeowner, you may wish to make improvements or alterations to your home.

Here you can find out whether you are eligible to do so and which improvements might be subject to certain conditions, planning permission and other regulations.

The following improvements do not need our written consent, and we're happy for you to proceed with:

  • general re-decoration including titling, painting or boxing-in of pipework
  • inserting fitted wardrobes or cabinets
  • installing shelves, wall-mounted TV's or curtain poles
  • landscape gardening, excluding the erection of outhouses, garages or summer houses, outside taps, lighting or pipework
  • replacing carpet flooring
  • installing hard flooring if you live in a ground floor flat or in a house
  • replacing interior lights and light fittings (switches and dimmers)

If your home is within the initial new build warranty period, you must not undertake any home improvements during this time.

You will need our permission to make improvements if we own the freehold of your home, or your home is on an L&Q estate where there are restrictions as to what improvements are acceptable.

We will consider all applications for improvements or alterations affecting the building you live in and the surrounding areas. This includes communal areas, gardens, roof and loft spaces - but we must guarantee that the structure of the building remains safe for all occupants and ensure that any changes made do not adversely affect the rights of other individuals who live in the building or on the estate.

On occasion, there may be a different freeholder who owns the building, estate or land that your home is situated on. In these situations the freeholder's permission is normally required – if it is not L&Q.

For shared ownership houses, you will need our written permission for certain alterations until you own 100% of the property and become the freeholder.

For freehold houses on L&Q estates, there may be restrictions which do not allow you to undertake major home improvements without our consent.

The process explained

If you wish to make either minor or major alterations to your home, you must complete our Home Improvement Request form (PDF) and email it to us at

Before submitting the form to us, please make sure you first check your lease or transfer document as some home improvements will be strictly prohibited.

To prevent delay with assessing your application please be as detailed as possible with regards to works you intend to carry out.

Providing that all relevant information has been supplied within your application form, we will notify you of our decision as to whether the approval can be granted, if we require further information or documentation from you, or if the request is declined.

If approved we will advise you of all applicable administration fees which will be payable.

It should be noted that for major alterations for shared owners, we will expect that you own a minimum ownership of 50% of the property. We may expect you to staircase (buy more shares) should you own less than 50% and wish to undertake major works to your home.

Depending on the works, occasionally a structural surveyors report may be required. We will notify you if this is required and provide you with details of some firms who will be able to assist you. You will be responsible for contacting the surveyor directly to request the report and will be liable for all associated fees.

Once the above report has been completed, the surveyor will send a copy directly to L&Q. We will review the report along with your lease/transfer documents and will advise you of the outcome.

If approved works require changes to your lease/transfer document, we will request your solicitor's details in order for your lease/transfer to be varied. The solicitors will progress the home improvement case accordingly and a Deed of Variation will be completed to make the necessary amendments to your lease/transfer document.

It's important to know that you will be liable to cover all fees associated with carrying out home improvements, this includes L&Qs administration fees, your own legal fees as well as any legal fees that L&Q are required to pay, and any required surveyors costs.


Have a question?

Visit our help and advice pages for homeowners
Contact us icon

Get in touch

Please complete our Home Improvement Request form if you wish to make either minor or major alterations to your home and email it to our Homeowners team

Useful documents

PDF icon
Home Improvement Request form
PDF icon
L&Q's homeowner administration fees