Many people have devices in their home which need recharging, such as a mobile phone, tablet, laptop or larger items such as an e-scooter or e-bike and even electric cars.

Most mobile devices have a Lithium battery and are very safe if they are used and charged correctly. There can be fire risk if these devices are overcharged or if you use the wrong equipment to charge them - fake chargers can be deadly as many of them fail to meet UK safety regulations.

There are some things you can do to reduce the risk of your rechargable devices starting a fire in your home:

  • Always use the charger that came with your device
  • If you need to replace your charger, always choose a branded product from a reputable retailer
  • Avoid charging or exposing your device to extremes of temperature - below -10̊C or above 40̊C
  • Don’t leave items on charge overnight. Devices heat up when charging and this is when a fire is most likely to start. Once your device is fully charged unplug it
  • Never cover your charger or device if its charging – this includes using your laptop power lead in bed
  • Don’t overload your sockets. Learn more.