Keep yourself and others safe from the chance of an electrical fire

Electrical items can pose a fire risk to you and your home. Here are the London Fire Brigade’s tips to stay fire safe:

  • always make sure electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them
  • keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order
  • don't buy cheap counterfeit chargers for items that use lithium batteries, and never leave phones or laptops plugged in to charge overnight – learn more about charger safety
  • empty fluff regularly from tumble dryers in line with the manufacturer’s instructions
  • hair straighteners can get extremely hot – always switch them off and leave them to cool on a heatproof surface
  • try to keep to one plug per socket, especially for high-powered appliances like washing machines
  • always check that you’re using the right fuse – if you're confused, check out our guide to fuses
  • be lead safety savvy – cable drum extension leads should always be completely unwound to avoid overheating, and be careful not to overload extension leads
  • it’s important you know the limit to your plug sockets and extension leads. Plugging in appliances that together will exceed the maximum current rating could lead to overheating and possibly cause a fire
  • register your white goods – it could save your life if a product is recalled for safety reasons


Be particularly careful around storing and charging e-bikes and e-scooters. Further information can be found on the London Fire Brigade website.

If you have any concerns about electrical items and fire safety, you can contact the London Fire Brigade and request a free Home Fire Safety visit.

If you notice an electrical repair that we are responsible for, you should call 0300 456 9996. Please note that we are still only accepting critical repairs at present due to the current pandemic.

In an emergency, always dial 999 and ask for the Fire Brigade.