Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

If you're worried about not being able to pay your rent, Housing Benefit and Universal Credit (UC) can provide you with support.

Universal Credit is a benefit for working-age people and is paid to claimants once a month – it includes support for rent and is gradually replacing Housing Benefit for this age group.

If you're a social housing tenant, you may be entitled to help because of your low income and you could get the full costs of your rent covered by benefits.

Not all residents will receive the full amount. If you have more bedrooms than you need you may be affected by the social housing size criteria, sometimes called the bedroom tax. You may also be affected by the benefit cap which limits the total amount of money you can receive, including out-of-work benefits and support with your rent.

Find out more about UC and what benefits you may be entitled to on the UK government website.

Benefit and rent payments help and support

If you don't pay your rent you could lose your home, so it is important that ask for advice now. We have dedicated teams and services that can help you.

If you need help with budgeting or dealing with debts, we fund a programme called Pound Advice. This programme is delivered on our behalf by We Are Digital and is exclusively for L&Q residents.

To find out more, please contact Pound Advice by calling 020 3475 2221 or by email at pound@we-are-digital.co.uk.

If you're an L&Q resident and would like help with finding work, please contact us by email at employmentsupport@lqgroup.org.uk.

Related topics

Woman working on computer at desk

Cost of living support

Find out how we can help you to manage the rising cost of living