This page provides information about benefit changes that were implemented in April 2013.

Council tax support and social fund changes

Since April 2013, local council tax support schemes have replaced council tax benefit, with each council implementing its own scheme. Under council tax support, most working age claimants have to pay something towards their council tax bill.

If you are affected, you should have received information from your council, outlining how much you have to pay. If you want to know more, you should contact your council.

Since April 2013, community care grants and crisis loans for general living expenses have also been abolished and replaced with new local provision within each council. More information about provision in your area is available from your council.

Find your local council's contact details.

Personal independence payment

Personal independence payment is a new benefit that was introduced in April 2013 to replace disability living allowance for eligible people aged 16 to 64. 

It helps towards some of the extra costs arising from a long term ill-health condition or disability and is based on how a person's condition affects them, not the condition they have. It is not means-tested or subject to tax and it is payable to people who are both in and out of work. 

The government is introducing personal independence payment in stages over a number of years for existing disability living allowance claimants.

The department for work and pensions will invite you to claim personal independence payment if you are on disability living allowance and you:

  • report a change in your care or mobility needs
  • reach the end of your existing award of disability living allowance and haven't already received a renewal letter
  • are approaching the age of 16, unless you are terminally ill

You can find out more about personal independence payment, including when you will be invited to make a claim.

If you are affected by any of the changes above, and are worried about managing your money or paying your rent, find out how we can help.


Find out you you might be affected by using our free welfare reform calculator.

Are you claiming everything you can?  Find out using our free online benefits calculator.