Paying the rent is the most important part of your tenancy with us. You can prepare for changes to your benefits by finding out more about how to pay your rent.

Housing Benefit and Universal Credit provide support with paying the rent. Social housing tenants entitled to full help because of their low income can get the full costs of their rent covered by benefit unless they have more bedrooms than they need or are out of work and their benefits are capped.

If you have more bedrooms than you need you may be affected by the social housing size criteria, sometimes called the bedroom tax.

Dependent on your circumstances you may also be affected by the benefit cap, which limits the total amount of money you can receive, including out-of-work benefits and support with your rent.

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people. It is paid to claimants once a month and includes support for rent. Over the next few years people claiming Housing Benefits will switch to Universal Credit.

Help and Advice

If you are worried about being able to pay your rent, you should ask for advice now. If you don't pay your rent you could lose your home, so it is important that you speak to us. We have dedicated teams and services that can help you with everything from finding work to dealing with debt.

If you need help with budgeting or dealing with debts, we fund a programme called Pound Advice which could help. Pound Advice is delivered on L&Q’s behalf by We Are Digital, and is exclusively for L&Q residents.

Please contact Pound Advice by calling 020 3475 2221 or by email at

If you are an L&Q resident and would like help with finding work, please contact us by email at