Skip to Navigation Skip to main Content


Site search

Transferring ownership of your home

We understand that personal circumstances change from time to time and you may need our assistance to update the ownership details of your home. An example of this is where joint owners decide to separate and one owner decides to transfer their ownership to someone else or into the sole name of the joint owner. Another example might be where an existing owner wants to add a partners legal interest.

What we need is

  • Written confirmation from the person that is to be removed, confirming that they want to be removed and are doing so of their own free will (if a joint to sole transfer)
  • Written confirmation from your mortgage lender that they are happy for the transfer to take place if you are transferring from sole ownership into joint ownership, the mortgage offer from the lender will provide the new owners confirmation that they are happy to become a joint owner

If you are a shared owner, once we have approved your request we'll instruct our solicitors to draft a transfer deed. Please be aware that you will be responsible for the legal fees incurred.

If you are an equity loans customer you will need a solicitor to act for you and we will liaise directly with them. Please note that you're responsible for legal fees incurred.

We advise to seek financial advice should you wish to discuss your lending options.  We have a panel of independent Financial Advisors  who are dedicated to Low Cost Home Ownership.  We also advise that you seek legal advice on transfers of ownership.  Again we have a panel of independent solicitors and both the solicitors and financial advisers on the panel offer preferred rates to L&Q customers.

For all transactions, there are administration charges (PDF) for dealing with your application. We make a charge to cover the cost of providing a service to you.  You are also required to cover any legal fees associated with the transaction.

If you have any questions or comments about transferring your property please contact us using the Homeowner contact form.